Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chrome or Brushed Nickel?

So we're installing new countertops in all the bathroom next week and I still haven't figured out what finish I want on the new faucets! I already have ORB on the doors and brushed nickel light fixtures in the rest of the house. The bathrooms came with chrome - faucets, towel bars (which I replaced with new chrome six years ago), toilet paper holders (the built in kind that fit inside the wall/cabinet), shower stall, Roman tub faucet, and hideous light fixtures. I also bought chrome/glass apothecary jars and soap dispensers, which are still nice and in good shape.

If I built this house, I totally would have chosen brushed/polished nickel in the bathrooms, but I didn't get that option. If I go with a brushed nickel faucet, then I have to change out everything else. We would like to redo the tile around the tub and shower some day, but today is not that day, and therefore we can't change the chrome shower stall or fixtures right away. I also put brushed nickel knobs on all the vanity doors about five years ago, figuring that I would eventually change out everything to brushed nickel.

After looking online for brushed nickel fixtures, I'm worried brushed nickel is on its way out and I won't be able to find that finish when we are ready to remodel the shower. At the very least, I would have to buy the shower fixtures for the master and guest bath, to be installed at a later date. Grrr....

On the other hand, keeping the chrome introduces yet another metallic. It would save us money to not change out ALL the fixtures and accessories. Obviously some things will be updated, but little things add up. A brushed nickel lavatory handle is $15! Chrome also seems to have the longest shelf life (i.e. classic). Stores like PB and Restoration Hardware don't carry brushed nickel right now, but they always have chrome. Big box stores always have chrome.

The only thing I don't fancy about chrome is cleaning it. It gets spotty and smeary.

Just to recap, the counters are leathered black granite in the two guest baths. The vanities are both maple right now, but I'd like to paint the second floor guest vanity white at some point. The master bath is going to have a white quartz top with black painted vanity. Here's my inspiration:
cabinet design Jack And Jill Traditional Bathroom Design, Pictures, Remodel, Decor and Ideas - page 76
Source

Source

Susan Gilmore Photography-   creamy ivory bathroom cabinets, black mirrors, calcutta gold marble counter tops, white carrara marble hexagon floor tiles, iron scroll details, off-white walls and oil rubbed bronze faucets, hardware and sconces.
Source

The faucets I like are a Victorian style (similar to the ones pictured) and available in chrome, brushed nickel, and ORB. I like how the chrome faucets are mixed with ORB lights and
accessories.

Any thoughts, friends? What would you do?

1 comment:

Rachel K said...

I don't necessarily think that you have to switch everything, unless you really prefer the matchy-matchy look. We have brushed/satin nickel fixtures, ORB door handles/hinges and a chrome flusher. :) If it were me, I'd do ORB on your white quartz for sure...it's just such a pretty contrast! And I think your chrome accessories will still coordinate just fine. Then do chrome faucets in the other baths. It'll save you some money, and it will look nice with the black counters (again with the contrast). I wouldn't worry about the light fixtures being nickel. I don't think you have to limit your number of metals...I usually think of them as neutrals, anyway. :) Your master is the one that gets used the most typically, so hopefully cleaning the others with chrome won't be such a pain. Decisions, decisions. Good luck! I'm sure it will be beautiful no matter what you choose. :)