Thursday, August 1, 2013

School Supplies & Bouquets of Sharpened Pencils

 "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms."

-  Email to Kathleen Kelly from Joe Fox, You've Got Mail

It's already that time of year again, time for back-to-school shopping. I don't have any children yet, and maybe I'll change my mind about this when I do, but I still enjoy shopping for "school" supplies. Maybe because I actually liked school or because I was a substitute teacher and nanny? Mostly, it's because as a crafter, I still need pencils, crayons, markers, pens, paper, rulers, glue, tape, and binders. And everything is on sale!  It's a wonderful time of the year for my pocketbook. Hello? 19 cent rulers!

Truth be told, despite living in this tech crazy world, I still use binders for everything. I like having a hard copy in case my computer crashes or to write notes on.  I have binders for gardening, Bible study, couponing, decorating, DIY projects, Christmas crafts, and recipes. I am a binder nut! One reason is due to the fact that I have a bunch of binders leftover from college (which was like 10 years ago). The colors aren't very uniform, but I'm too cheap to streamline them at this juncture. Instead of buying books on these subjects, I tear out pictures from catalogs, sketch ideas on printer paper,  and write down recipes while I'm watching my favorite cooks. Prepare yourself. I don't even have a Pinterest account. I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

Today, I'm organizing my office and cleaning up some jars to store supplies in. Instead of buying brand new ones, I clean up the jars from fruit and applesauce. Warehouse stores have the best ones. I was at the craft store the other day and they wanted over $3 for the same jar (without fruit!). You better put some mandarin oranges in that jar before I pay $3.  The glue left from the label can be a pain to take off sometimes. I usually soak them in boiling hot sudsy water and use goof remover as a last resort. A plastic putty knife worked this time. Does anyone else know a faster way? Do tell!



I can't wait for Fall. I love it, don't you? I think it's my favorite season. I can wear jeans again, the nights are cool, the changing colors outside are so pretty. Does anyone else get a high from being greeted by the aroma of cinnamon as you enter Michael's, or is it just me? I think they do it on purpose. Pretty soon it will be time to light pumpkin scented candles and listen to some Harry Connick Jr.  Blame it on all the romantic comedies; fall and jazz just go together like peanut butter and jelly.

~Amber


No comments: