Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I've Got Who's Its and What's Its Galore!

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty. I've got who's its and what's its galore. You want thing-a-ma-bobs? I've got twenty.

-Ariel, The Little Mermaid

I'm really blessed to have a craft room. It's not huge, but it's all mine, and it gives me  storage for all my crafting treasures that I've accumulated for the past fifteen years. It's no underwater cavern like Ariel, but it will work. Between paying bills, sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, gluing, and glittering, it can get kinda messy...and crowded. I have books, paper, tools, material, yarn, ribbon, and paints that all need homes. The only thing I'm missing is a giant statue of Prince Eric! Ha! Just kidding.

 My craft room is part of the master suite, which is divided by a fireplace, so there is no closet. I have two bookcases, a small glass cabinet, one 24" deep built-in bookcase next to the fireplace, and I still feel a little pressed for space. I am perplexed by women who use their shelving purely for collectibles. It's gorgeous (I have total bookcase envy) but where do they put all their STUFF???? Sure, all the sand paper and furniture paints are in the basement, but what about the rest of it?

While taking pictures of my craft table, I started rearranging my bookcases and they still looked blah. Leave it to a photo to point out every flaw. I usually keep all my books in my glass cabinet, but changed it out for my sewing machine and notions. I liked how that cabinet looked and functioned. My bookcases on the other hand? Not so much.  One of my fabric photo boxes was totally faded from the sun and now that my books were moved to the big bookcases, they really looked blah. I even tried turning the spines around so they wouldn't be as busy. Mehhhh. A pop of color would be nice.  I need more storage and I need it cheap. Off to IKEA!

Before 1: (without new table) and Before 2: with craft table

Sorry my lighting is so pathetic, but they are "before" pics


Inspired by the double knockout roses I clipped from my front yard and my love of pink,  I opted for a few dark pink boxes, along with some black to pop against the white bookcases. I found the chalkboard buckets at Target the other day in the dollar section (my favorite spot). 

 

 
Ahhh...much better and much more organized. And that deep dark pink is like the perfect shade of lipstick. Smoooooch!
 
 
~Amber

4 comments:

Ericka Lynn said...

Looks fantastic! Pop of color was just what it needed!

riley2 said...

You're something else, sweetie. Looks as gorgeous and professional as any home magazine I've ever seen. You have such a good eye.

Rachel K said...

Ooh la la! Love it!! Trendy and classic at once...beautiful! :)

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

Thank you for sharing, you've inspired us!! Working on our workroom very soon...oh we are your newest LIKE!!

xo
Glad & Celia