Friday, August 9, 2013

Craft Table Reveal!




Yay! It's finished! The craft table in my office is finally done. I was delayed by the rain last week, which kept me from sanding outside. Justin and I got the top sanded and stained with the first coat of Pecan just in time before another storm blew in Sunday. I painted the apron and legs last week. You can see that post HERE.
 
It looked great as is, but of course I couldn't leave it alone. Since it's for my own craft room, I decided to experiment with a stencil.
 
This was going to take precision! The top was already stained; if I messed up this stencil I was going to cry. Starting over or painting the top? No way Jose! To give myself a little uh-oh room I gave the table top one coat of clear wax. That way, if I made a boo-boo, I could wipe the paint off with a wet rag. It also protected the wood from a light sanding once the stencil was complete. I applied two more coats of wax once the stenciling was done.

Placing the stencil was the hardest part. I cut a piece of craft paper to help me figure out the placement before I started painting.  When I realized it would never fit perfectly, even if I overlapped the stencil in some places (this pattern is very irregular, lest you think I did a crooked job), I decided on fudging the design a little. I also had to finagle a way to close up the lace swag.


Way more time consuming than I planned on. I thought stenciling would be faster than hand painting, but I'm not so sure.

 And here's my finished craft table! (I see I need to do something with those computer cords).


I resisted the urge to put my initials in the middle. See, I do have some self-control. Seriously though, that would be cool.

Project Tips:
1. Use Wood conditioner before applying stain, for a smooth application
2. Wax the stained top with one coat of wax BEFORE (and after) stenciling
3. Use spray adhesive to secure stencil in place EACH TIME YOU MOVE IT and use a sponge pouncer to apply the paint
4. Use a fine grit sanding sponge to knock down the paint if you have any high points. Don't go crazy - be gentle
5. Rub the stenciled area with a clean dry cloth to remove any glue and/or paint residue


Phew. Now that it's done, it's hard to believe how long it sat in the basement. Can you tell how happy I am right now? I  have a huge work surface! Woot Woot! Now all I have to do is reorganize the office. I already got the folding table out and moved my glass cabinet over where the folding table used to be. What do you think of the table in the middle of the room? I like how I can just swivel my chair back and forth between the work surfaces without getting up.  To be continued... here.
~Amber
 
Furniture Feature Fridays

No comments: