Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Whitewashed

When I found these two vintage cane back chairs at a consignment shop for $25/pair I thought I had really scored. For the most part, I did pretty well, but one needed to be re-glued (grrr...repairs) and they both needed new foam BADLY. They are probably from the 60's or 70's based on the color and it's obvious they have never been reupholstered. Luckily, Hobby Lobby isn't too far away so I used my 40% coupon on two separate trips to get the foam.

This style chair is really classic though. Check out this one from Restoration Hardware


Once again, I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I continued to make use of the Old White and Graphite I had from the Queen Ann Dining set project. This time, attempting a wash. 

I first painted the chairs in two thick coats of Graphite and let dry 24 hours. Then I mixed some (like a few tablespoons) Old White in a disposable cup and dilluted it 50% with water. Working in small sections, I brushed on some of the whitewash and blotted it off immediately with a clean lint free rag. After they dried I sealed them with 2 coats Minwax paste wax and buffed 'em up.

They still need the new (clean foam) seats upholstered. Something simple and neutral I think like canvas, hemp, or linen burlap. I like the stoney color quality these chairs have. Something unexpected. Annie Sloan doesn't have a true black, so I thought this would be more grayish, but I find this Graphite color looks bluish in certain light and with this wash effect. Live and learn. You don't know what you'll get until you test it out. Making a mental note.


Cute as side chairs or captain chairs at a dining table.

~Amber

No comments: