Friday, April 19, 2013

Amber Whata?

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, valuable, but small. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don’t really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So goodnight, dear void."

- Email from Kathleen Kelly to Joe Fox, You've Got Mail


When I was in the third grade, we had high school students teach us some French once a week for a semester. That was the first time I had crepes (which I thought were flour tortillas with jam and sugar).  I was excited as they went around the classroom, frenchifying everyone's name. When they got to me, they looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders, "Amber" (Am-bare). That's it?! It's no different? What a drag.

Fast forward to the present.

"Pinkamberina... How do you spell that?"

"It's like pink ballerina only it's pink amberina. The color 'pink,' 'Amber,' 'i-n-a'," is the usual dialogue whenever someone inquires.

For many years I've been Amberina. Amber is one of those names that can have a myriad of nicknames attached to it. When I was little, my cousin had a whole slurry of verbiages for me: Ambi bambi, rootsie tootsie, boomby bumby, stinky winky, stringy wingy. Little children I babysat for generally coined me "hammer" and I was known as "Miss A" by my students when I was a substitute teacher. I'm not sure how old I was when my mother started calling me Amberina. It most definitely had something to do with me being girly (I so would have adored Fancy Nancy) and loving the ballet. I'm 5'10" with zero flexibility, so I was never a dancer myself, but I would have liked to have been. A friend of mine in elementary school took lessons so we used to play make-believe in her old recital costumes. I can pretend, right? Somewhere along the line I added pink (it is my favorite color) and voila! Pinkamberina.

 It's more ME than the way I decorate. Don't for one minute think this blog is going to be about everything pink.  To be honest, I hardly ever use pink (except in flower arrangements or in the guest room). At one time I pictured my house looking very much like Rachel Ashwell's shabby chic in white and pink florals, but my husband wasn't exactly on board and I don't blame him. I quickly realized our decor would be a compromise. It wasn't practical for our lifestyle either. How I dreamed of a white sofa, but as long as my hubby is a contractor/mechanic (e.g. covered in paint, drywall dust, dirt, grease, sweat, and coffee) I feel quite confident that we will forever be lounging on an easy-to-clean leather couch, at least in the family room ;-). That's what formal living rooms are for, right? But when I think about what I would name a business, whether it be the ballerina tutus I used to make or crafts and furniture painting I do now, I AM and forever will be PINKAMBERINA. Anything I put my hand to is quintessentially Pinkamberina.

I'm fond of black and white photography, mercury glass, crystal chandeliers, matlasse, tufting, bicycles, peonies and roses, Christmas, cloches, European farmhouse decor, hats, coffee, autumn, Degas, and making things myself. I love creating. I love projects, even though I have little patience if they tary on too long because I become OBSESSED with finishing the project at hand. I paint...everything, knit a little, and sew fair, but you only get better with practice, right? Here's to the journey. Let's get craftin' and put that Art degree to good use!

~Amber






1 comment:

riley2 said...

that's my girl! Go for it!